You made the decision to be an entrepreneur. You started out with gusto, trying to find the right recipe for success. You feel like you’re moving forward and then, you feel God’s nudge. God moves you into the “new thing” he wants you to do. Now what? How could you have been so far off track? You feel so confused; you thought you were doing what you were supposed to be doing. Sound familiar?
Here’s what I’ve learned about moving into the “new thing” God’s calling me to.
1. Trust the process. Your business will evolve; give yourself permission to evolve with it. Let go of what’s NOT working for you. Get ready to tweak, even shift in a new direction. You don’t have to figure it all out at once. God unfolds things as you go along. It’s okay if it turns out differently than you thought. Being an entrepreneur is a journey, not a onetime event.
2. Step back and evaluate. When you sense God is shifting your business, don’t rush out and make quick decisions. Take this time to see if you are aligned and congruent with who you are. Listen to your heart and trust your intuition. If you are really honest, is there an area in your business where you weren’t speaking your truth, or serving the people you really wanted to serve? Is there an area where you weren’t honoring God completely? Maybe God needs you to fine-tune what you are currently doing, and who you’re doing it for. Perhaps God is sending you in a new direction entirely.
3. Spend time in prayer. Pray, journal, and listen. What do you sense God is telling you? Write out your thoughts; ask your questions and reflect. I don’t know when God will show up for you, but I promise he will! Receive the direction of the Spirit with an open heart. It’s HIS business, after all.
4. Watch for doors to open. As I like to say, “It really pays to listen to God and observe how he does things”. God can do amazing things. Pay attention to new opportunities, and be open to who, or what, God places in your life. Look with your eyes wide open.
5. Embrace God’s new direction. Boldly and courageously step out on this new path, even if it doesn’t make sense yet. Sometimes it means taking one step at a time. You don’t necessarily know where God is leading you, but follow God anyway because He knows where He’s going.
Yes, this “new thing” might be scary, challenging, or stretching for you. You might not feel ready yet, but God is. Walk in step with God’s leading in your life and fully utilize the gift(s) he has given you. Following God will get you, and your business, back on track faster than anything else.
Doreen Penner, Coach and Mentor, teaches solo-professionals and others, how to have absolute clarity in designing a business around their brilliance so that they can naturally and authentically attract more clients, make more money doing what they love. Doreen is known for “holding space and safety” for clients to discover and explore who they really are, see their value, and to really OWN their true gifts so they can do what God has called them to do. You can find out more at www.doreenpenner.com