Have you ever felt overwhelmed? I have! Recently I began to feel overwhelmed with my handmade inspirational jewelry business which caused me to be stressed in other areas of my life. I was talking this over with my husband and he recommended that I take a vacation. Our funds were low so of course my first thought was, I don’t have any money to go anywhere and have a real ‘vacation’!
After thinking it over and praying about it, I thought it would be a good idea to take a break and get my head straight about why I was feeling so much anxiety. So I picked a date last month and took a week off from work. That’s hard to do when you are the only one on the team lol! I received much support from my hubby and online friends so I knew it was time.
As I began my vacation, I told myself that I wanted to take this time to spend time with my family, God, and myself! I wanted to come back to ChariT’s Inspirational Creations with a sense of clarity about my business and where God wanted to lead me from there.
This is what I learned from my vacation:
1. I was ‘addicted’ to results from my business! I was always checking social media responses, emails, and stats. There is nothing wrong with that at all. However, when it becomes addicting there is a problem. I should be addicted to God and serving Him, not serving other idols such as social media. So I fasted from social media for 4-5 days of my vacation. It was Hard but worth it!
2. I was focused on the wrong thing! During my vacation I realized that I was identifying the esteem of myself with the success of my business. My business is only part of me, not ALL of me. I should be focused on what God wants from me! I prayed that I stay focused on pleasing Him.
3. God comes first no matter what. I came up with a little affirmation that I tell myself throughout the day so I don’t get stuck working. It is God, self, family, and work. This keeps me focused on all of those things so I don’t get stuck in a rut which causes anxiety.
4. I need to keep God and His word on my mind! During my vacation I received the book Jesus Calling. I have made reading this daily devotional part of my daily routine and it has helped me to stay focused on Him!
5. I matter and I need to take care of me! I enjoyed time to myself during my vacation which was long overdue! I deserve to do something nice for myself and it doesn’t even have to cost money! I learned that if I neglect myself and God, I will begin to feel overwhelmed and forget what is really important! Check out my vacation recap here.
At the end of my vacation the following scripture came to mind:
Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth! -Psalm 46:10
How are you getting closer to God today?
Chari Twitty-Hawkins is a woman of God and a hard working stay at home mom of twins! She is also founder/artistic creator of ChariT’s Inspirational Creations, handmade inspirational jewelry made to uplift and inspire you! She loves inspiring others to live their purpose in life! We all deserve it! Visit her inspirational jewelry website at CICinspireme and be inspired! Connect with Chari at ChariT’s Inspirational Creations for inspirational quotes, articles, and inspirational jewelry specials!